Sie sind hier:


Glossary, Regulations and FAQ


Bachelor The title obtained after having successfully finished a three- to four-year degree course in the anglo-american region. The bachelors degree is not seen as scientifically based and such does not qualify for embarking on a PhD programme in Germany.

ECTS European Credit Transfer System:
Credits are awarded for fulfilling certain requirement and passing modules. These credits should be accepted at participating European universities thus enabling to change universities.




Can I apply without GRE? 

No, it is mandatory. Applications without GRE will be rejected.

Can I upload/send the GRE score after the deadline?
No. The GRE score must be uploaded as a scan or a screen shot of your online result during the Online application. We cannot accept any documents after the end of the deadline.

What is the min. score for the GRE?
There is no minimum score, but the score will be taken into account.

Can I apply without an English test (TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge First Certificate)?
For getting a visa you have to submit a proof of your English language skills in form of an official test like TOEFL or IELTS or Cambridge First Certificate. However, a test is not neccessary if you are a native English speaker and have conducted your most recent studies in a completely English speaking country e.g. USA, CAN, GBR, IRL, AUS, NZL. Conducting your studies in English language while not in a completely English speaking country is not sufficient - consult the German embassy for further details.

How long must English test be valid?

The test score must be valid until the end of the application period (30.04.)

Can I upload/send the English test score after the deadline?

No. The English test score must be uploaded as a scan or a screen shot of your online result during the Online application.

Will GAT-Test (Pakistan) be accepted as a substitute for GRE?
No, we will only accept GRE.   

Which Institution Code does the University of Dortmund have at ETS (Testing organization for GRE and TOEFL)
Institution Code: 8523; Department Code: 1001

Documents / Eligibility

Am I eligible to apply?
If you fulfill all the requirements stated in the section Entry Requirements you are eligible to apply.  You are eligible for the application with a bachelor degree in chemical engineering, not with a degree in chemistry.

Do I have to send any original documents by post?
No. Please do not send any documents by post, neither photocopies nor originals. Applications by post will be directly discarded. All documents need to be uploaded as pdf files. Original documents will be needed at the time of enrollment.

My application material is incomplete. Can I apply nonetheless? Can I hand in missing documents later?
You cannot turn in documents later, besides your final bachelor's degree and the final transcript. If you have not yet received your final bachelor degree, please send us a provisional transcript of your grades so far and clearly state the time you expect to receive the final transcript.

I have not received my bachelors degree yet.
You can apply with your transcript until the current semester. Please make sure to send your final transcript to us as soon as you have it by E-Mail.

How many letters of recommendation do I need?
You need to hand in two letters of recommendation. We require two academic letters of recommendation, but one academic letter may be replaced by one industrial letter of recommendation.

What is the required format for the letters of recommendation?
The letters of recommendation have to be on the official letter paper of the faculty/department or the company and signed. In case you do not get the letters handed out ask your professor to send them by E-mail.

What is the allowed length of the letter of recommendation?
There is no limit for the letters of recommendation.

What is the allowed length of the motivation letter?
The motivation letter is limited to one page.

Do I need to hand in an additional document if the explanation of my grading system is on my transcript?
No, it is sufficient if you upload the part of your transcript where the explanation is provided.

Can I upload additional documents to my application?
No, we only accept the documents stated under Documents . Please use the CV to state your experience and skills.

I have problems to upload 3 letters of recommendation
The the letters of recommendation must be assembled in ONE PDF-FILE! Other formats (e.g. ZIP-files) will not be accepted by the system. 

I have uploaded a wrong document. Can I change this document?
Once you have submitted your application you cannot change anything. If you really need to change something you need to apply anew.

Can I change my application after I submitted it?
Already submitted applications cannot be edited anymore. If you really need to change something you may apply anew.

Can upload the same document for several fields?
Yes, you may upload one document several times if it contains the required information.

When can I apply?
Application period for the winter intake is possible from autumn of the preceeding year till April 30th of the enrollement year.

When can I expect the admission results?
You may expect the admission results about ten weeks after the end of the application period.

Other Questions

Do I need to speak German?
You do not need to prove any German language skills as it is an international program and all lectures are held in English. The study program itself can be successfully completed with excellent English skills alone. To master daily life, however, we strongly recommend that you acquire at least a basic knowledge of German before you arrive or at least during your stay here in Germany. You will find it a lot easier e.g. to find accommodation if you are able to communicate in German. German language courses for learners of different levels and a special basic course is part of the programme.

How much are the monthly living costs in Germany approximately?
The monthly expenses are approximately 750-900 Euros per month. Please go to our site Finances. For further details please see the website of the DAAD.

How do I find accommodation in Germany?
Please see our website Accommodations. Please keep in mind that you are responsible to find yourself a place to stay.

Are there any tuition fees or other?
No, there are no tuition fees. You only have to pay about 305 EUR per semester as a social fee on enrollment and re-registration. This fee goes to the student association (AStA) and the Studentenwerk and also covers the costs for the semester ticket, with which you can use public transportation to travel through the region of Nordrhein-Westfalen for free. All students of TU Dortmund University regardless of the program they have enrolled for have to pay this fee. 

When do I need to present the APS certificate? (for students from China, Mongolia or Vietnam)
People from the three countries mentioned above have to present their original certificate issued by the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) of the German Embassy in their respective country (i.e. Beijing (China), Ulan Bator (Mongolia) or Hanoi (Vietnam)). This document is only required for visa application and the enrolment at TU Dortmund University.

How can I calculate how many ECTS or Creditpoints I achieved?
1 ECTS or Creditpoint is corresponding to 30 hours of workload.

Are all the lectures of the Master's programme taught in English?
The Process Systems programme is completely taught in English language. Of course, German language knowledge would be very useful in your everyday life. (All other specialisations at the department of Biochemical and Chemical Engineering are taught in German.)

How can I apply for the Masters programme in chemical engineering?
1. Check if the entry requirements are fulfilled

2. Apply online according to the information given here.

What are the admission requirements?
Click here

Can I also start in the summer semester?
The Master’s Programme starts only in winter semesters (October of each year) with the first (preparatory) semester. Starting in the summer semester is possible exclusively with an ECTS bachelor of 7 semesters duration. All other international students (also with bachelors of 7 or more semesters duration!) have to start with the first (preparatory) semester in winter semester.
Can I get any finance / scholarships?
Technische TU Dortmund University does not offer scholarships. There are scholarships available from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Please refer to the chapter finances.

Do you help for getting visa in my home country?
The university cannot influence the decision of the German Embassies/Consulates. In exceptional cases the faculty can provide additional documentation concerning provisional admission that might help you to get your visa.

What is the last date for registration of course in university?
October, 30.

Can I get accommodation before I come to Dortmund?

Universities are not responsible for arranging accommodation for their students in Germany. We will nevertheless try to help you as far as we can in order to attain accommodation for you. We will provide you with some addresses and tips and maybe you will be able to arrange a room for yourself before your arrival. Please refer to chapter accommodation.

Is there any information about the city of Dortmund?
Please find information on the internet: www.dortmund.de

Is it possible to work in Germany while I am student?
After getting your residence permit you are allowed to work for 90 full days a year.

Is there any student union / group who can help me further?
In the department, there is a student board of the masters students. They may also help you if you have questions prior to your arrival (e.g. accommodation).

What do I need to drive in Germany?
You would need an international driving licence.

How much does a masters programme in Dortmund cost?
Please refer to the section finances.

Is there a bachelor programme in chemical engineering in Dortmund?
There is only a German language Bachelor's programme.



Kirsten Lindner-Schwentick
Koordinatorin für Lehre und Studium